A credit report details your payment history of bills, loans, etc. It also provides information about your accounts with details of past bankruptcy and litigations, if any. These credit reports are consulted by banks, insurers, and even employers for doing business with you.
There are three agencies, namely; Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion that provide nationwide credit reports. Law makes it mandatory that each of the three providers give you a free credit report once a year.
Here are the 10 top sources for credit reports:
- One of the best sources for a free credit report is by requesting it online on the website, AnnualCreditReport.com. As this is the only authorized central source for getting free credit reports online. With online request, you can access your free credit report immediately.
- You can also request free annual credit report over the phone by just calling the toll-free number (877) 322-8228 and get your free credit report within just 15 days.
- You can also fill up the Annual Credit Report Request form and mail it to Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281. The forms are available with the Federal Trade Commission. Upon request by post, you may get your report within 15 days of receipt.
- You can order all the three free credit reports in one go. However, it is advisable to order the three free credit reports at three different points of time. This will give you credit reports at different points of time in a year.
- Make sure to type correctly the website address of AnnualCreditReport.com, the only authorized online central source for free credit reports. Any typing error can take you to the websites of impostors.
- You can also contact the three agencies directly. But, it is advisable to contact the central source, AnnualCreditReport.com, for free credit reports. This central source has been set up jointly by the three agencies.
- Equifax, Experian and TransUnion can also be contacted directly for paid credit reports if you have already availed the option of one free credit report from each of them within 12 months.
- If you have availed all your free credit reports, check for any trial period offers. The reports ordered during such periods may be free or at a discounted price.
- You may get free credit reports even if you have availed all your three free copies in a year. The law entitles you for a free report if your application has been rejected for credit, insurance, or a job, and also when a company has taken any action against you based on your credit profile. You need to request your free credit report within 60 days of being informed of any such action.
- The law also entitles you to a free credit report in a year in case of unemployment, being on welfare, or mistakes in credit report due to factors like fraud or identity theft.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.