Chamomile is a flowering plant that has been used for centuries for its astounding medicinal properties. A naturally occurring substance in chamomile is coumarin and this active ingredient renders the potent anti- inflammatory and blood thinning attributes that chamomile is famous for.
German chamomile is the most common chamomile. It has been studied and used extensively in creams, lotions, perfumes, and teas. Roman chamomile is less popular than its German counterpart. It is also known as English chamomile and exhibits similar health benefits. Roman chamomile is available as tea bags, tinctures, aromatic oils, and in a dried form. Traditionally brewed like tea, chamomile leaves have therapeutic uses and help relieve muscular cramps, soothe the digestive system, and treat several skin conditions.
Chamomile is contraindicated in people who are pregnant, prone to allergies, or are taking blood thinners.
This gentle herb is blessed with many health benefits. Here are the top five conditions where chamomile can be used to alleviate symptoms:
1. Aches and pains. Organic Roman chamomile has anti-spasmodic properties and is suggested as a muscle relaxant to relieve menstrual cramps and muscular pains.
2. Digestive complaints. Organic chamomile works wonderfully to treat ailments related to digestion such as nausea, abdominal pain, heartburn, irritable bowel syndrome, bloating, and indigestion.
3. Skin conditions. Cool lavender chamomile based oils help to soothe skin burns, acne, skin allergies, diaper rash, and even eczema. Placing cooled Roman chamomile tea bags on eyes reduces dark circles and puffiness. Take a bath in water infused with chamomile oil for lighter, more refreshed, glowing skin. Organic chamomile is used to prepare soothing and moisturizing lotions and sprays that are best suited for sensitive skin prone to redness and irritation.
4. Insomnia. A remedy for sleeplessness or insomnia, Roman chamomile tea taken at bedtime helps to calm the senses and induce sleep.
5. Headaches. The pleasantly flavored Roman chamomile tea helps to reduce migraine headaches and also cures anxiety. The active ingredient apigenin in Roman chamomile helps one relax after a stressful day.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.