Bulimia is a psychological eating disorder characterized by highly frequent episodes of binge-eating or compulsive overeating followed by episodes of purging in which the individual resorts to inappropriate methods of weight loss by abusing laxatives or diuretics or inducing vomiting. Symptoms of bulimia range from emotional, psychological, as well as physical symptoms.
Many bulimia symptoms are secondary and are a result of extreme psychological and emotional stress.
Here are the top five signs and symptoms of bulimia:
1. Bulimia Nervosa symptoms usually include depression and low self-esteem. Low energy is also a characteristic symptom of bulimia. The depressive symptoms of bulimia are most common in women but also found in some men. These feelings often accompany anxiety, feelings of helplessness, and extremely low self worth. These symptoms are common to anorexia as well. Other signs and symptoms of bulimia include psychological disorders like self-mutilation, sexual promiscuity, and substance abuse.
2. Mouth problems are a physical sign of bulimia caused by excessive purging. This is seen when excessive stomach acids erode the enamel of the teeth which leads to brittle as well as malformed teeth. The patient can also suffer from a variety of sores as well as other mouth problems.
3. Bulimia symptoms also include severe malnutrition in the body, which in turn can cause a number of problems in the body. The excessive secretion of stomach acids can erode the inner wall of the stomach, causing ulcers. The lack of proper nutrients and minerals can cause the hair, nails, and skin to become dry and brittle. Hair loss is a common symptom of bulimia and so is a pale complexion and brittle nails.
4. Bulimia can cause dehydration and severe developmental disorders. Bulimia symptoms have also been linked to teenage dysmenorrhea or irregularity in menstrual cycles. Irregular heartbeats and palpitations may also cause fainting as well as other cardiovascular issues.
5. The more severe symptoms of bulimia may result in death. Other threatening signs and symptoms of bulimia include infertility, arthritis in the jaw, seizures, and diabetes.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.