Vitamin B9 (folic acid) should be made a part of the daily diet. The vitamin can be manufactured by the body and stored in the liver. Folic acid is required for DNA synthesis and cell growth. It is important for the formation of red blood cells and amino acids, besides being essential for energy production and protein metabolism.
What Causes Deficiency of Vitamin B9?
· Deficiency of vitamin B9 is caused by alcoholism, malabsorption diseases, pharmaceuticals, and dialysis. Signs of vitamin B9 deficiency increase with age.
· Deficiency of vitamin B9 may lead to heart palpitations, birth defects, and leucopoenia. Infertility and sterility have also been reported in patients suffering from vitamin B9 deficiency. The deficiency of vitamin B9 increases the risk of atherosclerosis and heart diseases.
· Vitamin B9 is essential for the development of the nervous system of a growing fetus. Deficiency of B9 can cause spina bifida in the baby.
· Long-term deficiency of vitamin B9 results in anemia. It can also lead to osteoporosis and cancer of the bowel or cervix.
There are various benefits of vitamin B9:
· It controls the level of deposition of cholesterol in the heart.
· It checks the concentration of homocysteine in the body
· It eradicates the chance of bowel and cervical cancer.
Other benefits of vitamin B9 include cell enhancement, hemoglobin formation, and building of muscles. It is useful in treating folic acid deficiency and anemia. Vitamin B9 aids digestion. This nutrient is also effective in treating depression and anxiety.
Top Signs of Deficiency of Vitamin B9:
1. Deficiency of vitamin B9 is generally indicated by headache, nausea, and irritability.
2. Other signs of vitamin B9 deficiency are fatigue, acne, sore tongue, and cracks at the corner of the mouth.
3. Signs of deficiency of vitamin B9 also include loss of memory, restricted growth of the brain and nerves, paranoia, weakness, and skin cracking.
4. Mood disorder and depression are also signs of deficiency of vitamin B9.
5. Loss of appetite, inflamed tongue, gastrointestinal problems, and diarrhea are the other common signs of vitamin B9 deficiency.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.