CBS and fans of "Two and a Half Men" don't have to fret about subtracting Charlie Sheen from TV's top-rated sitcom.
Sheen has agreed to a new contract that will keep him on the show for two more seasons, spokesman Stan Rosenfield said Monday evening after the deal was reached.
"To put a fitting end on the 2 1/2 months of whirlwind speculation, I'm looking forward to returning to my CBS home on Monday nights," Sheen, 44, said in a statement, adding his thanks to CBS Corp. Chief Executive Leslie Moonves for his support.
Uncertainty had clouded Sheen's future with the series after he told friends that he wanted to leave after seven years because he'd tired of its production demands and wanted to focus on movies. He's in the upcoming film "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps," a sequel to the 1987 "Wall Street" in which he starred.
Subsequent reports said that he was holding out for a payday of up to $2 million per sitcom episode. CBS and Sheen had declined comment on the reports, and Sheen's statement did not provide details of the new agreement.
A call to CBS for comment was not immediately returned Monday.
"Two and a Half Men," which also stars Jon Cryer, is a key part of CBS' Monday night lineup. Last year, the network gave the show a 3-year renewal, through the 2011-12 season, although Sheen's contract was up at the end of the current season.
Meanwhile, the actor's personal life remains unsettled. He has pleaded not guilty to charges stemming from a Christmas Day incident in Aspen, Colo., of alleged domestic violence involving his wife, Brooke Mueller Sheen. Sheen faces a July 21 jury trial in Colorado.
He entered a rehab facility for undisclosed treatment in February, temporarily forcing "Two and a Half Men" to halt production. CBS and series producer Warner Bros. Television issued a statement of support when Sheen sought treatment and wished him well.
CBS is owned by CBS Corp.
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.