President Donald Trump Monday, after having just arrived in the United Kingdom, complained that CNN is the "primary source" of news from the United States there and said if people would boycott owner AT&T, CNN would be "forced to make big changes."
"Just arrived in the United Kingdom," he tweeted. "The only problem is that @CNN is the primary source of news available from the U.S. After watching it for a short while, I turned it off. All negative & so much Fake News, very bad for U.S. Big ratings drop. Why doesn’t owner @ATT do something?"
He then said he believes that if "people stoped [SIC] using or subscribing to @ATT, they would be forced to make big changes at @CNN, which is dying in the ratings anyway. It is so unfair with such bad, Fake News! Why wouldn’t they act. When the World watches @CNN, it gets a false picture of USA. Sad!"
The Trump administration and the president himself have often complained about both CNN and the AT&T-Time Warner merger was approved earlier this year, despite the Department of Justice's attempts to block it, notes Axios.
Just before Trump's tweets about CNN, the network's "New Day" show was discussing Trump’s denial that he called Meghan Markle “nasty," notes Mediaite. However, there is no indication in the tweets themselves that they were in direct response to the CNN segment.
Sandy Fitzgerald ✉
Sandy Fitzgerald has more than three decades in journalism and serves as a general assignment writer for Newsmax covering news, media, and politics.
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.