Tags: Italy | Fiat | stock | initial offering

Fiat: It's Not Possible to Complete IPO of Chrysler This Year

Monday, 25 November 2013 09:35 AM EST

Chrysler won't be offering its stock for sale on the public markets this year.

Italian automaker Fiat SpA, Chrysler's majority owner, said in a statement Monday that Chrysler's board has determined an initial public offering is "not practicable" in 2013.

Instead, Chrysler Group LLC will continue work on the offering so it can happen in the first quarter of next year, the statement said.

Fiat owns 58.5 percent of Chrysler's shares, with the remaining 41.5 percent held by a United Auto Workers union trust fund that pays health care bills for blue-collar retirees.

But Sergio Marchionne, CEO of both automakers, has been squabbling with the trust over the price, and so far they haven't been able to reach agreement. Marchionne wants to buy the trust's shares in order to combine the companies.

The IPO would consist of shares currently held by the trust. Last month, UBS AG set the value of the trust's stake at $5.6 billion. Fiat has gone to court seeking a judgment on the price, but the trial date is set for next September.

The pricing process for the IPO might be the stimulus needed for the two sides to reach agreement and avoid the public sale. "I'm not selling anything and nor do I think we need to do so," Marchionne said in October.

Marchionne can't spend Chrysler's cash on Fiat's operations unless the companies merge. He has made it clear that he would prefer to settle the dispute without an IPO, but filed the paperwork for the offering in September at the trust's request.

But Chrysler's profits have been propping up Fiat on the balance sheet all year as the Italian automaker struggles in a down European market.

The Auburn Hills, Mich., automaker earned $464 million last quarter on U.S. sales of the Ram pickup and Jeep Grand Cherokee, its ninth-straight profitable quarter. The results boosted Fiat, which earned $260 million in the third quarter. Without Chrysler's contribution, Fiat would have lost $340 million.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


InvestingAnalysis
Italian automaker Fiat says it won't launch an initial public offering for Chrysler before the end of this year.
Italy,Fiat,stock,initial offering
329
2013-35-25
Monday, 25 November 2013 09:35 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
Get Newsmax Text Alerts
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
MONEYNEWS.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
MONEYNEWS.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved