Tags: Caesars | Bidder | revel | Casino

Caesars CEO: No Qualified Bidders for Troubled Revel Casino

Monday, 11 August 2014 07:34 PM EDT

Gary Loveman, chief executive officer of Caesars Entertainment Corp., said no qualified bidders have emerged for the bankrupt Revel hotel and casino in Atlantic City.

The absence of qualified bidders for the New Jersey property “suggests that even at a de minimis price, people are finding it hard to imagine they can make money operating the Revel,” Loveman said Monday on a conference call, without specifying where he got the information.

Stephen Cohen, an outside spokesman for Caesars, said later that Loveman’s remarks were based on published accounts of efforts to auction the Revel property. An NBC station in Philadelphia reported earlier Monday that no acceptable bids have been received, citing a source it didn’t identify.

Shrinking betting action in Atlantic City contributed to a doubling of Caesars’ quarterly loss, the Las Vegas-based company said Monday in a statement. Caesars, the largest U.S. owner of casinos in the U.S., posted a second-quarter loss of $466.4 million, or $3.24 a share, citing higher interest costs and an 8.3 percent decline in revenue outside of Las Vegas, including the New Jersey resort city.

Caesars, owner of the namesake Caesars Palace and Planet Hollywood resorts, has its own debt problems. The company is fighting creditors in court over its efforts to deal with $23 billion debt from a 2008 leveraged buyout.

Lisa Johnson, a spokeswoman for Revel AC Inc., declined to comment on Loveman’s remarks. Chris Filiciello, chief of staff for Atlantic City Mayor Don Guardian, didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Revel has been in bankruptcy twice since it opened in 2012. The company last week postponed its auction until Aug. 14, to analyze multiple bids, according to court documents filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Camden, New Jersey. The company is expected to seek court approval of a sale after that date.

© Copyright 2026 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved.


Companies
Gary Loveman, chief executive officer of Caesars Entertainment Corp., said no qualified bidders have emerged for the bankrupt Revel hotel and casino in Atlantic City.
Caesars, Bidder, revel, Casino
303
2014-34-11
Monday, 11 August 2014 07:34 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
Get Newsmax Text Alerts
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
MONEYNEWS.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
MONEYNEWS.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved