Tags: Barack Obama | Syria | US | Obama | Syrian Refugee | Target

WSJ: US Will Reach Obama's Syrian Refugee Target

WSJ: US Will Reach Obama's Syrian Refugee Target
President Barack Obama (Photo by Krystian Dobuszynski/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

By    |   Wednesday, 13 July 2016 12:15 PM

President Barack Obama announced last fall that the U.S. would accept 10,000 Syrian refugees in the next year and now The Wall Street Journal is reporting that despite a slow start, that amount will be reached by the end of September.

Only 1,285 Syrians had arrived by March 31. In the next three months, that number increased to 5,211. Among the refugees, 60 percent are children, while half of the remaining 40 percent are adult men and half are women. A State Department spokesman told the Journal that most men arrive as part of a family.

According to the Refugee Processing Center, most have been settled in Michigan, California and Illinois. With background checks and other precautions, it usually take two years for a refugee to get admitted, with fingerprints and iris scans collected. Compared with refugees from other countries, "Syrian refugees are subject to even more scrutiny," said the spokesman.

Even with State Department's reassurances, some aren't convinced of the security measures.

"They aren't going to admit the next 5,000 Syrians in three months unless they are rushing through the supposedly rigid security screening," said Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies.

Breitbart News reports that of the 2,300 Syrians who arrived in June, only eight identified themselves as Christians. In Syria, Christians make up 10 percent of the population, or about 1.2 million people. Islamic State terrorists have targeted religious minorities in what the European Parliament has labeled as genocide.

"I fear that this could be the end of the Assyrian Christian presence there. These Christians are the descendants of survivors of genocide in Turkey 100 years ago," said Christian Solidarity International's Dr. John Eibner in an interview with the Swiss newspaper The Berner Zeitung. "They sought and found refuge in Syria. Now this Christian community is again subjected to renewed religious cleansing."

Six years after the start of fighting in Syria, 5 million Syrians await registration with the United Nations refugee commission.

"The Obama administration's 10,000 goal remains an exceedingly modest one, when compared with the scale of the refugee crisis and the resources of the United States," Anwen Hughes, deputy legal director of Human Rights First, told the Journal.

© 2019 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Newsfront
President Barack Obama announced last fall that the U.S. would accept 10,000 Syrian refugees in the next year and now The Wall Street Journal is reporting that despite a slow start, that amount will be reached by the end of September.
US, Obama, Syrian Refugee, Target
366
2016-15-13
Wednesday, 13 July 2016 12:15 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved