Tags: sinai | Israel | nationals | flee

Israel Tells Its Nationals To Flee Sinai

Tuesday, 13 Apr 2010 08:12 PM


JERUSALEM- Citing concrete intelligence, the National Security Council’s Counter-Terrorism Bureau issued an urgent travel advisory on Tuesday night asking all Israelis in Sinai to return home immediately.

According to defense officials, intelligence obtained by Israel shows that a terrorist cell is on its way to Sinai to kidnap an Israeli and transfer him or her to the Gaza Strip. Israeli intelligence agencies have updated their Egyptian counterparts.

While officials refused to reveal the cell’s affiliation, they said it was working on behalf of Hamas.

A statement put out by the bureau about the intelligence information on the plot also called on the families of Israelis currently in Sinai to phone them and inform them of the travel advisory.

During Pessah, an estimated 5,000 Israelis vacationed on Sinai beaches, despite warnings not to do so, according to Counter-Terrorism Bureau estimations. The urgent language of the current advisory is extremely rare.

On Tuesday afternoon, rumors circulated regarding the possibility that an Israeli, maybe a soldier, had been kidnapped by a Palestinian terrorist group in Sinai. The IDF immediately ordered its units to count all of its soldiers and determine their whereabouts. By evening, however, the reports were dismissed after it was verified that no one was missing.

According to a top defense official, the advisory was issued on Tuesday after concrete information was obtained recently indicating that terrorist groups were planning to kidnap Israelis who were still vacationing along the Sinai beaches.


“This is a real threat based on intelligence that we just received,” the senior official told The Jerusalem Post on Tuesday evening. “The plot is to kidnap any Israeli, and it does not make a difference who they are.”

The last major terrorist attack in Sinai was in 2004, when suicide bombers attacked the Hilton Taba hotel, just across the border from Eilat, and several campsites where Israelis were vacationing at Ras al-Shitan, near Nueiba. Thirty-four people were killed and 171 were wounded.

Hizbullah is also believed to be interested in kidnapping an Israeli as part of its plans to avenge the 2008 assassination of its military commander Imad Mughniyeh in Damascus. Hizbullah has been unsuccessful in its efforts to strike at Israel, which it blames for Mughniyeh’s death, but has made efforts to kidnap Israeli businessmen.

© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

   
1Like our page
2Share
GlobalTalk
sinai,Israel,nationals,flee
377
2010-12-13
Tuesday, 13 Apr 2010 08:12 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved