Tags: ML | Yemen

Yemen's Government Reverses Decision to Quit Kuwait Talks

Sunday, 31 July 2016 07:07 AM

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Yemen's internationally-recognized government agreed on Sunday to extend peace talks with Shiite rebels for another week, reversing an earlier decision to quit the negotiations hosted by Kuwait, according to state television.

It said President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, following consultations with top aides, has agreed to proposals by U.N. envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed for the rebels to pull out of cities, including the capital Sanaa, and hand over weapons they looted from army depots within 45 days.

The proposals also provide for the annulment of political bodies emanating from last week's formalization of an alliance between the Iranian-backed rebels and the General People's Congress, the political party led by former President Ali Abdullah Saleh. The U.N. envoy has said the alliance violated international resolutions and urged both sides to "refrain from unilateral actions that undermine political transition."

Saleh and the rebels, known as Houthis, have been allies since 2014. The two sides were adversaries when Saleh ruled Yemen and fought each other for six years until 2010. But the longtime autocrat was forced out in a 2011 popular uprising.

Under terms of the deal brokered to remove him from power, Saleh received immunity from any prosecution. But he remained in Yemen and army and security troops loyal to him helped the Houthis drive the internationally recognized government from the capital.

Hadi's government is backed by a U.S.-assisted, Saudi-led military coalition that has been fighting the Shiite rebels and their allies since March 2015.

The Kuwait talks have failed to make any significant headway amid fundamental disputes over the agenda. President Hadi demands the implementation of a U.N. security council resolution stipulating the withdrawal of militias from all cities. The Houthis have countered with demands for a share of power in any new government.

An estimated 9,000 people have died in the Yemen conflict since March 2015. A U.N. cease-fire declared in April has been frequently breached by both sides.

© Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

   
1Like our page
2Share
MiddleEast
Yemen's internationally-recognized government agreed on Sunday to extend peace talks with Shiite rebels for another week, reversing an earlier decision to quit the negotiations hosted by Kuwait, according to state television.It said President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi,...
ML,Yemen
323
2016-07-31
Sunday, 31 July 2016 07:07 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved