Tags: EU | Britain | Sexual Misconduct | Charles Dutoit

Royal Philharmonic Says Names Vasily Petrenko Music Director

Monday, 02 July 2018 12:37 PM

LONDON (AP) — The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra says Vasily Petrenko will succeed Charles Dutoit, who stepped down as artistic director and principal conductor following multiple allegations of sexual assault.

Petrenko will be the orchestra's music director — a broad role that incorporates Dutoit's former position.

The 42-year-old Russian conductor, who is the chief conductor of the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra and Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, will begin his tenure at the beginning of the 2021-22 season.

Dutoit's departure had been scheduled for October 2019, but it was brought forward after The Associated Press reported that three opera singers and a classical musician had accused him of sexually assaulting them between 1985 and 2010.

Swiss-born Dutoit had denied the allegations saying they are "as shocking to me as they are to my friends and colleagues."

© Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


   
1Like our page
2Share
GlobalTalk
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra says Vasily Petrenko will succeed Charles Dutoit, who stepped down as artistic director and principal conductor following multiple allegations of sexual assault.Petrenko will be the orchestra's music director - a broad role that incorporates...
EU,Britain,Sexual Misconduct,Charles Dutoit
131
2018-37-02
Monday, 02 July 2018 12:37 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved