Tags: EU | Turkey | Attack | The Latest

The Latest: Official: Istanbul Attack Similar to French Ones

The Latest: Official: Istanbul Attack Similar to French Ones

Wednesday, 04 January 2017 05:12 AM

ISTANBUL (AP) — The Latest on the Istanbul nightclub attack (all times local):

1 p.m.

Turkey's European Union affairs minister says the Islamic State group-claimed attack on the Istanbul nightclub was carried out in an "extremely professional way" and bears similarities to the Bataclan and Charlie Hebdo attacks in France.

Omer Celik told CNN Turk television in an interview Wednesday that it appeared that the gunman, who is still at large, had clearly received training "in the Middle East."

Celik said: "We are face to face with an attack that was carried out in an extremely profession way."

He continued by saying that the gunman "entered (the club) in a professional way, carried out the incident in a cool-blooded manner, and after staying in the kitchen for a while he left, vanishing without a trace."

Celik said the attacker was using methods "that avoid all modern intelligence techniques" of tracking, including acting alone, not contacting anyone and "not using technology."

10:35 a.m.

A Turkish Airlines jet carrying the bodies of two Indian citizens killed in shooting at an Istanbul nightclub last week has landed in Mumbai.

The bodies have been received by a governing party lawmaker, and the victims' relatives and friends.

Bollywood film producer-realtor Abis Rizvi's body was taken to his home in suburban Bandra for burial later Wednesday.

The 49-year-old Rizvi wrote, produced and directed a Bollywood movie "Roar: The Tigers of Sunderbans," in 2014 aimed at spreading awareness about tigers.

The other Indian victim of the Istanbul attack was Khushi Shah, a 39-year-old fashion designer from Vadodara, a city in the western Indian state of Gujarat. Shah's body was flown to her hometown for cremation later Wednesday, the Press Trust of India news agency reported.

9:35 a.m.

Turkey's state-run news agency says police have detained five suspected Islamic State group militants believed to be linked to the deadly Istanbul nightclub attack.

Anadolu Agency says the operation was launched in the Aegean port city of Izmir on Wednesday. It says the operation in continuing.

The gunman, who killed 39 people during New Year's celebrations, hasn't been publicly named and is still at large.

IS has claimed responsibility for the attack, which also wounded nearly 70 people.

© Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Europe
The Latest on the Istanbul nightclub attack (all times local):1 p.m.Turkey's European Union affairs minister says the Islamic State group-claimed attack on the Istanbul nightclub was carried out in an "extremely professional way" and bears similarities to the Bataclan and...
EU,Turkey,Attack,The Latest
367
2017-12-04
Wednesday, 04 January 2017 05:12 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved