Tags: EU | Serbia | Srebrenica

Landmark Srebrenica Trial to Resume in Serbia

Wednesday, 04 October 2017 07:38 AM

BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — A Serbian appeals court says the landmark trial of eight former Bosnian Serb police officers charged with taking part in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre can resume following a suspension.

The trial was halted in July because charges in the case had been filed at a time Serbia was without a chief war crimes prosecutor. The new prosecutor, Snezana Stanojkovic, then filed a request to resume the proceedings.

No date was immediately set Wednesday for the future hearings.

The trial is seen as a test of Serbia's pledge to punish war criminals as it formally seeks European Union membership — and an important step in Balkan reconciliation more than two decades after the Bosnian war.

Some 8,000 Muslim men and boys were killed by Bosnian Serb troops in Srebrenica.

© Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Europe
A Serbian appeals court says the landmark trial of eight former Bosnian Serb police officers charged with taking part in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre can resume following a suspension.The trial was halted in July because charges in the case had been filed at a time Serbia...
EU,Serbia,Srebrenica
130
2017-38-04
Wednesday, 04 October 2017 07:38 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved