Tags: AF | Rwanda | Genocide | Suspect

Congo Extradites Key Suspect in Rwandan Genocide

Sunday, 20 March 2016 07:25 AM

KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Congo's justice minister says one of the most wanted suspects in the 1994 Rwandan genocide has now been extradited home to face charges.

Ladislas Ntaganzwa's arrest in eastern Congo late last year came more than two decades after the genocide in which more than 800,000 ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus were slaughtered by extremist Hutus.

Congolese Justice Minister Alexis Thambwe Mwamba made the announcement Sunday.

Rwandan authorities have said they want to try him on charges of participating in the planning and execution of the massacre of more than 20,000 Tutsis over a four-day period.

In one case, authorities say Ntaganzwa personally gave the order for a massacre to begin in Cyahinda Parish on April 15, 1994, and then incited others to kill those who tried to escape.

© Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Africa
Congo's justice minister says one of the most wanted suspects in the 1994 Rwandan genocide has now been extradited home to face charges.Ladislas Ntaganzwa's arrest in eastern Congo late last year came more than two decades after the genocide in which more than 800,000...
AF,Rwanda,Genocide,Suspect
131
2016-25-20
Sunday, 20 March 2016 07:25 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved