Tags: AF | Congo | Mass Graves

10 More Mass Graves Uncovered in Restive Central Congo

Tuesday, 27 June 2017 08:38 AM

KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Authorities say 10 more mass graves have been uncovered in the restive region of central Congo where the Catholic church has estimated more than 3,300 people have died.

Maj. Gen. Joseph Ponde told journalists that armed forces were alerted to the graves by Red Cross officials and villagers in the area.

He said seven of the 10 new mass graves were located in Diboko. A U.N. team is due to arrive on the scene Wednesday.

Human rights officials say 42 mass graves already had been documented in the Kasai provinces, where violence erupted last August after a traditional chief was killed in a military operation.

Among the victims were two foreign U.N. experts — American Michael Sharp and Zaida Catalan, a Swedish-Chilean national.

© Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


   
1Like our page
2Share
Africa
Authorities say 10 more mass graves have been uncovered in the restive region of central Congo where the Catholic church has estimated more than 3,300 people have died.Maj. Gen. Joseph Ponde told journalists that armed forces were alerted to the graves by Red Cross...
AF,Congo,Mass Graves
125
2017-38-27
Tuesday, 27 June 2017 08:38 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved