The University of Michigan is planning to withdraw from hosting one of the debates between President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden due to concerns about holding a large gathering during the coronavirus pandemic.
The Detroit Free Press said the official announcement is expected to come on Tuesday. The debate had been scheduled for Oct. 15.
Two sources told the newspaper that university officials were concerned about the large number of supporters for both candidates, along with media and others, expected to come to the Ann Arbor campus during the COVID-19 outbreak.
The New York Times reported that people familiar with the debate planning said the event will be moved to Miami’s Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts. The venue had hosted the first debate of the 2020 primary season last summer for the Democrats running for the party’s nomination.
A spokesman for the University of Michigan declined to comment on the school’s plans.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.