Sixty percent of adults in the U.S. drink alcoholic beverages – down from 65% in 2019, a new Gallup poll reveals.
Past Gallup polls recorded a highpoint of 71% of those imbibing in 1976 and 1978.
Here are highlights from the new poll results, posted Thursday:
- 39% of those drinking said they consume beer.
- 31% drink wine.
- 27% said they drink liquor.
- 63% of men said they drink alcoholic beverages, compared to 57% of women.
- 60% of those between 18-34 said they drink alcoholic beverages.
- 70% of those between 35-54 said they consume alcohol.
- 52% of those over 55 said they have alcoholic beverages.
- 3.6% is the average weekly number of drinks consumed – down from 4 in 2019.
The poll, conducted July 6-21, surveyed 1,007 adults. The margin of error is plus or minus 4 percentage points.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.