An 80-year-old woman who was Colorado's first COVID-19 victim may have infected hundreds of other elderly people who played along with her in a large bridge tournament, health officials are warning.
Health officials have issued an alert for anyone who played in a specific tournament on February 29 and March 1 at the Colorado Bridge Center in El Paso County, or in general, between February 27 and March 3, after the woman died last Friday, reports The Denver Post.
One person who was there has tested positive for coronavirus and two more are hospitalized. Center director John Dukellis, who has been self-isolating because he fears he may have also caught the disease, commented that at least 284 people were in the center when the woman was playing, and almost all of them were over the age of 60.
'This group is going to be hard hit," Dukellis said. 'This is just the beginning.'
The woman reportedly had some symptoms when she was at the tournament, but nothing that she had been concerned about,
Dukellis said most of the players were from Colorado Springs, but the tournament brought in players from several areas of the state, including Denver. Some also came from care homes, which puts them at the risk of outbreaks.
Authorities said they are in touch with the care homes where players live, but would not say which facilities or where they are located.
The news comes after an outbreak in a Washington state care center claimed 27 lives, or most of the state's 48 deaths so far from the virus.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.