The death of Bobbi Kristina Brown from a combination of alcohol and drugs isn’t the kind of tragedy that happens only to celebrities, but occurs everyday in neighborhoods all across America, a top expert says.
“What happened to Bobbi Kristina Brown is a cautionary tale because such things happen not only in Hollywood but also in Butte, Montana, and everywhere else in the U.S.," Dr. Marc Leavey, an internist at Mercy Medical Center tells Newsmax Health.
“Somebody comes home from a party where they’ve had a few drinks, or they’ve smoked a few joints, and they decide to take a tranquilizer to help them go to sleep, but they don’t wake up.”
Bobbi Kristina Brown died from drug-related complications, an autopsy report released Friday shows.
Brown, the daughter of Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown, was found unresponsive in a bathtub on Jan. 31, 2015, immersed in water. She was intoxicated with a mix of marijuana, alcohol, morphine and other drugs – both conditions that caused the pneumonia that led to her death, a medical examiner said in a statement Friday morning, CBS News reports.
But the report also said it could not be determined whether her death was accidental or intentional due to the months that she was comatose prior to her death last July.
The autopsy report ends months of speculation about how she died. Her estate had filed wrongful death lawsuit filed by her estate against her partner, Nick Gordon, that claims he gave her a "toxic cocktail" that helped cause her death.
In the U.S., deaths from prescription drugs are climbing. Nearly 30,000 people died of prescription drug overdose in 2014, a 2.8-fold increase over 2001, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported recently.
Of these deaths, nearly 9,000 were from the class of drugs known as benzodiazepines, which includes such commonly prescribed medications as Valium and Xanax.
Brown also had traces morphine in her system, the autopsy shows. Prescription opioids kill nearly 20,000 Americans a year.
Even just one or two benzodiazepines, in combination with the alcohol, would have been enough to result in death, says Dr. Leavey.
“These are plain Jane substances. People have them in their homes all the time,” he adds.
“It’s the combination of these drugs with alcohol that’s dangerous. They both depress the central nervous system, which can unconsciousness. So Bobbi Kristina probably took one, got into a warm bath, became drowsy, and slipped under the water.
“It was a stupid thing to do but, unfortunately, it happens all the time.”
© 2021 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.