Tags: verruckt | water slide | boy | decapitated | torn down

Verruckt Water Slide Where Boy Decapitated Being Torn Down

Image: Verruckt Water Slide Where Boy Decapitated Being Torn Down

Verruckt waterslide (Jill Toyoshiba/The Kansas City Star via AP, File) and Caleb Schwab (DAVID STRICKLAND/AP)
 

By    |   Wednesday, 23 Nov 2016 12:12 PM

The Verruckt water slide, closed since a 10-year-old boy was decapitated on it in August, will be torn down, the theme park chain owning it decided.

The water slide in Kansas City was touted as the world's tallest, rising 17 stories when it opened in 2014, noted KMBC-TV, and that had been delayed for additional safety tests.

Caleb Schwab, son of an elected state official, was killed on the slide and two women riding with him were injured.

The Schlitterbahn theme park chain announced the decision on Facebook.

"In our 50 years of providing an environment for families and friends to gather, we've never experienced this kind of devastating event. The safety of our staff and our guests is our top priority. We are parents and grandparents ourselves and many of us have ridden Verrückt with our own children and grandchildren over the years it operated."

"Once the investigation is concluded and we are given permission by the court, Verrückt will be decommissioned – closed permanently and the slide removed from the tower. In our opinion, it is the only proper course of action following this tragedy. We will, at some point in the future, announce what will be built in its place."

Kansas City Mayor Mark Holland told the Kansas City Star that he approved of the company's decision to take down the slide.

"I also appreciate that Schlitterbahn officials informed the Schwab family in advance of publicizing their intentions," Holland said. "We continue to keep the Schwabs, and all others affected by this tragedy, in our thoughts and prayers, especially as the holiday season approaches."

Michael Rader, the attorney for the Schwab family, told KMBC-TV that he has been cooperating with Schlitterbahn and its attorneys on decommissioning and tearing down the slide.

But an attorney for the injured women told the television station they were blind-sided about this week's announcement, calling it "disgraceful." The attorney said he sent a letter to the water park chain Tuesday for an update, only to see the news on television.

The attorney told KBMC-TV his clients want the slide and the 17-story tower taken down and all of its parts destroyed.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
The Verruckt water slide, closed since a 10-year-old boy was decapitated on it in August, will be torn down, the theme park chain owning it decided.
verruckt, water slide, boy, decapitated, torn down
361
2016-12-23
Wednesday, 23 Nov 2016 12:12 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved