Tags: us | capitol | evacuated | visitor | center | alarm

US Capitol Evacuated Briefly After Alarm in Visitor Center

By    |   Wednesday, 27 May 2015 08:39 AM

The US Capitol Building was evacuated on Tuesday due to an alarm that sounded in the visitor center.

According to The Associated Press, employees were let back into the building after roughly an hour when police and firefighters discovered that the alarm went off due to a faulty exhaust fan in the visitor center kitchen. Visitors were allowed back in shortly thereafter. 

Lawmakers were not present at the time the alarm went off. The legislature is not in session this week due to a weeklong Memorial Day break.

Capitol Police spokeswoman Kimberly Schneider said that the alarm was likely triggered by smoke in the kitchen, however there didn't appear to be signs of a fire having ignited. That suggested that someone must've burned the pot roast.

Several of the evacuees documented the incident on Twitter.





© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
The US Capitol Building was evacuated on Tuesday due to an alarm that sounded in the visitor center.
us, capitol, evacuated, visitor, center, alarm
202
2015-39-27
Wednesday, 27 May 2015 08:39 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved