Work on Trump’s border wall replacement in Calexico, California, reached a significant milestone when a stretch of the structure was completed last week, The Los Angeles Times reported.
A full-fledged border wall hasn’t been been funded by Congress, and the $1.6 billion that has been awarded includes restrictions on how the money may be used, the newspaper said.
This has impeded Trump from going ahead with plans despite having already set up and tested prototypes for his proposed border wall.
In February, Trump announced work would begin on the Calexico border replacement fence, noting that the project was at the request of San Diego.
There have since been debates as to whether the Calexico structure forms part of Trump’s proposed border wall, or if it is a completely separate endeavor.
Earlier this year, David Kim, assistant chief patrol agent for the Border Patrol’s El Centro sector, attempted to quell doubts by assuring the public that the it was a "a local tactical infrastructure project that was planned for quite some time," The Desert News reported.
There are several other similar structures scheduled to go up along the southwest border this year, The Los Angeles Times noted.
Gloria Chavez, chief of the El Centro sector of the U.S. Border Patrol, said it was a "solid first step in strengthening our border security posture."
She noted that the structure would "enhance our agents’ ability to detect and arrest those entering the country illegally."
Meanwhile, addressing his actual proposed border wall, Trump told "Fox & Friends" on Thursday that he was unhappy with the progress and pace of the structure and insisted that something "very strong" was in the pipeline after the midterm elections, Fox News Insider noted.
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.