Tags: toddler | dies | e coli | bacteria | zoo

Toddler Dies From E Coli After Attending County Fair's Petting Zoo

Image: Toddler Dies From E Coli After Attending County Fair's Petting Zoo
(Twitter)

By    |   Thursday, 08 Oct 2015 03:15 PM

A Maine toddler has died after contracting a deadly strain of E. coli bacteria from a petting zoo at a county fair.

Colton Guay, 20 months, died Monday after visiting the Oxford County Fair in Oxford, Maine, his parents told MyFoxBoston. They attributed his death to a complication of E. coli infections called HUS, or hemolytic uremic syndrome.

The Maine Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed that two toddlers became sick with E. coli infections after visiting the fair, The Sun Journal reported. The state agency did not release the second child's name or comment on either child's condition. However, the Journal reported that the second child was Myles Herschaft, 17 months, and a Facebook post by his father, Victor Herschaft, said his son was in stable condition.

Jon Guay, Colton Guay's father, wrote on Facebook: "It began with severe diarrhea and ended with massive brain seizures that ultimately took his life."

"Beth and I were with him almost every moment in the hospital and are happy we got to hold and rock him to sleep. I have learned that there is no pain worse than losing the life of your child's," he added. "I am relieved to know that he is in a better place free from any further pain or suffering."

Guay told WCHS-TV he and his wife had no idea their son could contract E. coli from petting zoo animals. The Maine CDC told the station that parents are encouraged to wash their children's hands and use sanitizer after any contact with animals and their environment.

On Facebook, Guay also said that he and his wife had just learned they are expecting a baby girl.

State veterinarian Dr. Michele Walsh told the Sun Journal that both healthy and unhealthy animals often carry E. coli as part of their natural flora.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
A Maine toddler has died after contracting a deadly strain of E. coli bacteria from a petting zoo at a county fair.
toddler, dies, e coli, bacteria, zoo
308
2015-15-08
Thursday, 08 Oct 2015 03:15 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved