Talkers Magazine announced its 2017 Heavy Hundred of Sports Talk on Monday, naming Mike Francesa as its top sports talk radio host.
Each year the editors of Talkers Magazine along with industry leaders compile a list of the most important sports talk radio hosts in America. The criteria used to make the list include primarily ratings and revenue, but also take into account “other qualities” as well.
Talkers admits the results are “admittedly subjective,” but the aim is to help reflect “the industry’s diversity and total flavor and still give credit where credit is due,” said a news release.
Some of the other qualities considered include courage, effort, impact, recognition, service, talent, potential, and uniqueness. The list includes hosts that have regularly scheduled professional shows on the air on either terrestrial or satellite radio stations, or both.
Editor Kevin Casey called the list “one of the most difficult — but enjoyable — projects we undertake at Talkers.” He added, “Paring that pool of talent down to 100 is no easy task!”
Here are the Top 10 on this year’s list:
1. Mike Francesa, WFAN-AM/FM, New York
2. Boomer Esiason & Craig Carton, WFAN-AM/FM, New York
3. Colin Cowherd, FOX Sports Radio
4. Jim Rome, CBS Sports Radio
5. Dan Patrick, DirecTV/FOX Sports Radio
6. Dan Le Batard & Stugotz, WAXY, Miami/ESPN Radio
7. Mike Felger & Tony Massarotti, WBZ-FM, Boston
8. Mike Valenti & Terry Foster, WXYT-FM, Detroit
9. Doug Karsch & Scott Anderson, WXYT-FM, Detroit
10. Angelo Cataldi, WIP-FM, Philadelphia
For the complete list, visit Talkers.com.
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.