A snake in her Christmas tree found hidden among the ornaments by a woman in Australia over the weekend turned out to be a deadly poisonous one.
The woman, identified only as Cheryl, called snake catcher Barry Goldsmith in Victoria on Sunday to come get the serpent, according to the Huffington Post.
Goldsmith trapped the tiger snake and then later released it back into the wild. He told Fox News the snake was about three feet long.
“She didn’t panic,” Goldsmith said about Cheryl on Facebook. “She just took a photo and sent it to the snake catcher, me, and 20 minutes later I had the little bugger in bag. Ho Ho Ho.”
Finding a snake hidden in a Christmas tree might be shocking to some, Goldsmith said it was “just another day in the office for me.”
“Snakes show up in many strange places, like bird cages, bookcases, in boots and in toilets,” he said.
“It’s one of the more different ones, but we find them in all sorts of places,” Goldsmith said, per The Guardian. “Tiger snakes are very good climbers.”
Goldsmith said Cheryl did the right thing by taking the photo and then leaving it to him to capture the snake, saying people should leave snakes alone and not try to kill them.
“It’s dangerous, it’s illegal, and it’s cruel,” he said.
“They’re probably in the top 10 most toxic animals on the planet,” Goldsmith told Mashable. “But they’re not dangerous unless you poke it with a stick or grab it by the tail or try to kill it.”
According to the Australian Reptile Park, the tiger snake is one of the most venomous serpents found in southern Australia, and its bites were once the most common cause of snakebite deaths in Australia.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.