Tags: ronda rousey | suspension

Ronda Rousey Suspension After Latest Pounding Isn't Her First

Image: Ronda Rousey Suspension After Latest Pounding Isn't Her First

Amanda Nunes connects with Ronda Rousey in first round of their Friday fight. (AP Photo/John Locher)
 

By    |   Wednesday, 04 Jan 2017 11:34 AM

Ronda Rousey's suspension from cage fighting after her latest devastating mixed martial arts loss, this one to Amanda Nunes last Friday in Las Vegas, wasn't unexpected. She's been there before.

This time she has been suspended for at least six weeks following the brutal 48-second TKO loss to Nunes at UFC 207 at the T-Mobile arena, according to Fox Sports.

Rousey was also suspended in November 2015 after Holly Holm beat her to a pulp and took away her title. She was out then for 180 days unless cleared by a negative head CT scan, and 60 days with no fighting, and 45 days with no contact

Rousey’s current suspension will last until Feb. 14 and she won’t be able to undergo any contact until Jan. 30 due to the injuries she suffered in her loss to Nunes.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission released the medical suspensions on Tuesday.

Nunes landed several jabs to the face of the former dominant MMA fighter, who was seen stumbling around the cage, before the fight was ultimately stopped just under 50 seconds into the first round, said the New York Daily News.

It’s not clear what’s next for Rousey, but she has said she will take some time off to reflect following her second straight loss, according to Around The Octagon.

Rousey issued a statement to ESPN after Friday’s fight.

“I want to say thank you to all of my fans who have been there for me in not only the greatest moments but in the most difficult ones. Words cannot convey how much your love and support means to me,” said Rousey.

“Returning to not just fighting, but winning, was my entire focus this past year. However, sometimes – even when you prepare and give everything you have and want something so badly – it doesn’t work how you planned,” Rousey added. “I take pride in seeing how far the women’s division has come in the UFC and commend all the other women who have been part of making this possible, including Amanda.”

“I need to take some time to reflect and think about the future. Thank you for believing in me and understanding,” Rousey said.

Rousey was among 11 fighters on the UFC 207 card to receive a medical suspensions. Among them were was Dominick Cruz, Cody Garbrandt and John Lineker, Fox Sports noted.

Cruz, who suffered a unanimous decision loss to Cody Garbrandt in the co-main event, will be sidelined for six weeks due to a massive cut on his eyebrow that appeared after a kick from Garbrandt.

Garbrandt has received a mandatory suspension until the end of January.

Bantamweight fighter John Lineker suffered the worst damage last week. He left the octagon with a broken jaw and, as a result, he received a suspension until Jan. 30.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
Ronda Rousey's six-week suspension from cage fighting after her latest devastating mixed martial arts loss, this one to Amanda Nunes last Friday in Las Vegas, wasn't unexpected. She's been there before.
ronda rousey, suspension
471
2017-34-04
Wednesday, 04 Jan 2017 11:34 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved