Tags: parma | standoff | suspect | custody

Parma Standoff Ends With Suspect in Custody in Ohio

By    |   Wednesday, 25 September 2013 05:48 PM

A Wednesday morning standoff in Parma, Ohio, ended with a 21-year-old man in police custody.

Authorities were called to an apartment building on State Road at around 5:30 a.m. local time when another tenant reported that a man was shouting and breaking windows, NewsChannel5 reported.

The man then reportedly told arriving officers that he was armed with a "Mac-10" machine pistol and instructed them to raise their hands.

Editor's Note: ObamaCare Is About to Strike. Are You Prepared?

Police told NewsChannel5 that the suspect demanded a phone. The man eventually refused to leave his apartment and cut off contact with crisis negotiators.

"It's something you don't see every day, especially in Parma," neighbor Mary Phillips told Fox 8 Cleveland.

The man littered the lawn below by tossing items out the window. SWAT members pried open the door to the third-floor apartment, and the man hid in another room. Using a Taser, he was subdued and taken to Parma Hospital for self-inflicted injuries.

He didn't have a firearm, police told NewsChannel5.

The Ohio incident is at least the fourth similar one reported in the United States in the past 24 hours. A five-hour police standoff in Newport, Vt., ended Wednesday morning when police placed two suspected gunmen in custody. No injuries were reported.

Police told WCAX.com that a man called at around 5:30 a.m. and said 400 officers had his home surrounded. When law-enforcement officials arrived, the man was perched on top of his garage with a rifle. A 15-year-old boy was also behind the house with a rifle, while nine children and a woman were inside.

In Oklahoma, 54-year-old Sheila Ann Wright was hospitalized after Tulsa police shot her at least twice during a morning standoff. A residential armed robbery had been reported at about 7 a.m., according to Tulsa World.

The Bangor Daily News also reported that a man was killed after a nearly five-hour standoff with police Tuesday night, according Wilton Police Chief Heidi Wilcox.

Editor's Note: Do You Support Obamacare? Vote in Urgent National Poll

Related stories:

Second Hostage Shot in Louisiana Standoff Dies in Hospital

Ingolstadt Hostages Freed: Captor Shot and Arrested at City Hall

© 2018 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

1Like our page
A Wednesday morning standoff in Parma, Ohio, ended with a 21-year-old man in police custody.
Wednesday, 25 September 2013 05:48 PM
Newsmax Inc.

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved