Tags: parents | sue | third-grade | bully

Parents Sue Third-Grade Bully When School Fails to Respond

By    |   Monday, 23 Jun 2014 11:09 AM

Suburban Chicago parents have sued a third-grade bully who they claim physically assaulted and taunted their child throughout the school year while administrators and the alleged bully's parents did nothing.

Matthew and Deveri Del Core filed the lawsuit in Cook County Circuit Court last week against her son's classmate. Both are now fourth graders. Shortly after filing the lawsuit, Deveri Del Core said she was fired  from her cafeteria job at Robert Frost Elementary in Mount Prospect, reported WMAQ-TV.

The Chicago Tribune reported that both students attended third-grade classes at Robert Frost Elementary School in Mount Prospect, but were in different rooms. The lawsuit also names Community Consolidated School District 21 in Wheeling, Frost school principal Jeffrey Brusso and the alleged bully's parents.

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

The lawsuit stated that the school district, Brusso and the defendant's parents were notified of the alleged bullying and failed to protect Joaquin Del Core.

The family's attorney, Joel Handler, told WMAQ-TV they are seeking monetary damages from those named in the lawsuit. He told the television station he will amend the lawsuit include a retaliation claim for Deveri Del Core's firing.

"(The defendant) has committed multiple assaults, multiple batteries, on my client," Handler said to WMAQ-TV. "Since the school's not going to address it, and the parent presumably are not going to address it, then we are going to have to address it."

Joaquin Del Core's parents charged in the lawsuit, according to WMAQ-TV, that they complained to school officials and filed numerous police reports but the alleged harassment went on unabated.

"There was everything from him choking my son and threatening to kill him, said he was going to go home and get a knife and come back and kill him," Deveri Del Core told the television station. "My son would wake up at night screaming and crying, terrified, and did not want to go to school."

School district superintendent Kate Hyland defended the school's policies to WMAQ-TV last week.

"As a district, and at each of our schools, we value the safety and security of each and every one of our students and staff members, and take bullying prevention very seriously," Hyland's statement said, per WMAQ-TV. "We work diligently to provide a healthy, productive environment for all our students to learn and grow."

Urgent: Assess Your Heart Attack Risk in Minutes. Click Here.

Related Stories:

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
Suburban Chicago parents have sued a third-grade bully who they claim physically assaulted and taunted their child throughout the school year while administrators and the alleged bully's parents did nothing.
parents, sue, third-grade, bully
429
2014-09-23
Monday, 23 Jun 2014 11:09 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved