Tags: overdosed | puppy | opioid | reversal | drug

Overdosed Puppy Saved by Opioid Reversal Drug

Image: Overdosed Puppy Saved by Opioid Reversal Drug

(Jennie Magro/Dreamstime)

By    |   Friday, 27 October 2017 08:36 AM

An overdosed puppy was saved by an opioid reversal drug after apparently getting a jolt from nibbling on a discarded pack of cigarettes during a walk.

The 3-month-old golden Labrador pup named Zoey was out on a walk with her owner, Peter Thibault, earlier in October when the dog started to chew on the discarded pack of smokes, Newsweek reported.

Thibault immediately took the package out of the puppy's mouth, but the dog collapsed shortly after.

"I had no idea what the issue was,” Thibault said, per The Eagle Tribune.

“She was just lying there. I picked her up, took her home and laid her on floor. It seemed she was getting progressively worse, her eyes were rolling back and her tongue was hanging out of her mouth."

Thibault rushed Zoey to a nearby Bulger Veterinary Hospital for treatment.

Upon hearing that the puppy had been playing with a cigarette box, the veterinarian issued several doses of opioid reversal drug, naloxone, and the dog survived.

Bulger’s medical director, Krista Vernaleken, said the growing opioid crises in the U.S. could be detrimental to pets.

"I don't think people are aware that this is a dangerous thing their pets could get into,” she said, per The Eagle Tribune.

“We have always seen a lot of marijuana ingestion from dogs. Where you have drugs around, animals can get into them. I am especially concerned about these more potent drugs like fentanyl or heroin. They are more lethal. There could be dogs that pass away before they can be seen. That's true for humans as well."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has estimated that, since 1999, the number of people who have died from overdoses of either prescription opioids or heroin has nearly quadrupled in the U.S., Live Science noted.

Vox reported that overdose deaths linked to synthetic opioids including fentanyl, had increased from about 10,000 in 2015 to close on 20,000 in 2016.

© 2018 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
An overdosed puppy was saved by an opioid reversal drug after apparently getting a jolt from nibbling on a discarded pack of cigarettes during a walk.
overdosed, puppy, opioid, reversal, drug
325
2017-36-27
Friday, 27 October 2017 08:36 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved