Tags: mario batali | prison | groping | criminal

Celebrity Chef Facing Prison for Groping Woman

Celebrity Chef Facing Prison for Groping Woman
(Craig Barritt/Getty Images)

By    |   Thursday, 23 May 2019 11:08 AM

Celebrity chef Mario Batali could be facing two years in jail on charges of indecent assault and battery arising from a 2017 incident in which a woman claimed he kissed and groped her without consent at a Boston restaurant, The Daily Mail reported.

This is the first criminal charge against Batali, whose restaurant empire came toppling down amid the #MeToo movement, when several women made similar accusations of sexual harassment and assault. The 58-year-old celebrity chef is set to be arraigned Friday in the Boston Municipal Court, The Boston Globe noted.

The accuser, whose name has been withheld, filed a criminal complaint on April 4 claiming that she was eating dinner with a friend at a Boston restaurant when she noticed Batali and tried to take a photo of him over her shoulder. He noticed her trying to take the photo incognito and offered to take a selfie with her. 

According to the complaint, Batali then put his arm around the woman and tried to grab her chest, touch her groin and kiss her without consent.

A civil lawsuit against Batali had been filed earlier, with the same details. "Without asking her permission or giving her any warning, and without having received any indication that she had any sexual interest in him whatsoever, which she did not, Batali sexually assaulted her," the woman's lawyers wrote in the civil complaint, according to the Boston Globe.

The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages, mirrors another complaint filed against the celebrity chef by a Boston-area woman who accused Batali of similar actions, which were "without warning or permission, were unwanted and disgusting," CNN reported.

The first wave of accusations forced Batali to give up financial stakes in all his restaurant and step down from cooking show "The Chew" in December 2017, according to the AP. At the time, he released an apology expressing regret for disappointing his friends, family and fans.

"My behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility," he said.

However, addressing the latest accusations, Batali denied them all.

"The charges, brought by the same individual without any new basis, are without merit," said attorney Anthony Fuller, adding that Batali would "fight the allegations vigorously."

© 2019 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
Celebrity chef Mario Batali could be facing two years in jail on charges of indecent assault and battery arising from a 2017 incident in which a woman claimed he kissed and groped her without consent at a Boston restaurant, The Daily Mail reported.
mario batali, prison, groping, criminal
368
2019-08-23
Thursday, 23 May 2019 11:08 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved