Here are key dates in the life of Charles Manson, the cult leader who masterminded a series of savage murders in the United States in the late 1960s.
• Nov. 12, 1934: Born in Cincinnati, Ohio, United States.
• 1966: Founds a California hippy cult called "The Family."
• Aug. 9, 1969: Members of the community murder five people, including movie actress Sharon Tate, the heavily pregnant 26-year-old wife of director Roman Polanski, at her home in Los Angeles. Manson is not present.
• 1971: Found guilty of having ordered the murder of a total of seven people and is sentenced to death. The sentence is later commuted to life in prison.
• 2012: His 12th request for parole is rejected. The next could not come before 2027.
• 2014: Granted permission to wed a 26-year-old woman. The 90-day license expires without the ceremony going ahead.
• Nov. 20, 2017: Dies aged 83 of natural causes in a California hospital.