A 101-year-old man admitted into a hospital last week for the coronavirus has made a recovery and is with his family back at home.
Gloria Lisi, the deputy mayor of the Italian city of Rimini, shared the good news Thursday in an address to local media.
She noted that what stood out for the man, identified as "Mr. P," was he was born amid the Spanish flu pandemic that claimed millions of lives.
"At 101 years, he lived almost entirely through the past century and then had a glimpse of the new millennium. He has seen everything: war, hunger, pain, progress, crisis, and resurrections," she said, per Italy's The Local. "And then at the age of over 100 years, fate brought him this new challenge, invisible and terrible at the same time."
Lisi added, when hospital staff learned of Mr P's condition, there was a "desperate need" to help him fight the virus.
"When the tragic news reports tell us daily of a virus that is dangerous above all to the elderly, there is hope for all of us in the story of a person of this age," Lisi said. "And Mr. P. made it. His family brought him home on Wednesday evening. It shows that even at 101 years old, your fate is not written."
News of Mr. P's recovery is a ray of hope for an otherwise grim week. As of Thursday, there have been at least 82,100 cases reported in the US alone and at least 1,195 deaths nationwide, according to CNN.
With the elderly most at risk, family members grow increasingly concerned. Fueling their worry is the deaths of prominent figures. This week saw the passing of 69-year-old Mark Blum, best known for his roles in "Desperately Seeking Susan" and "Crocodile Dundee," as well as 81-year-old playwright Terrence McNally.
CDC noted, a large portion of deaths due to complications from the coronavirus in the US have been in adults 65 years and older.
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.