"The Hunger Games" provided a first aid lesson that helped a 12-year-old Massachusetts girl save her friend who was injured while they were playing.
Megan Gething applied a tourniquet using a pair of shorts after her friend Mackenzie George slipped in the mud suffering a 10-inch long, 3-inch wide gash on her leg, the Gloucester Times reported.
"I knew it from a book I read," Megan told the newspaper, referencing "The Hunger Games." "I figured it was a well-known method of stopping bleeding."
Megan told another friend, Zoe Tallgrass, to run for help, and George was eventually transferred to Boston Children's Hospital for surgery.
"Going through my mind was just helping 'Kenzie," Gething said, according to the Times.
The girls had been playing in the marsh on June 3 when Mackenzie slipped next to a welded steel pump. Doctors expect a complete recovery.
"Megan was the star of the show," Mackenzie's father, Gregory George, said, according to the Times. "Thank goodness she was there. Mackenzie would have lost a lot more blood, and it could have been life-threatening if she hadn’t done what she did.
"We want to celebrate what she did and what an amazing kid she is. And how incredible it is, without any formal training, to be able to stay calm in such a stressful situation. It's just amazing. We thank God that she was there to help out, and we're very appreciative that she did."
Twitter users were impressed by the youngster's quick thinking.
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.