German special forces arrested a teen early Tuesday in Berlin for allegedly plotting a terror attack against the nation’s capital, but released him Wednesday after no evidence of an attack was found.
An official from the state of Brandenburg told NBC News he believes the suspect entered Germany illegally from Syria in 2015, but said that information had not yet been confirmed. He was arrested after sending a goodbye message to a family member that seemed to say he was joining the jihad. Officials now say that message could have been mistranslated.
The teen was said to be planning a terror attack in Berlin while he was living in a home for unaccompanied minors in Gerswalde, which is northeast of Germany’s capital, NBC News reported. After seizing multiple mobile phones and a tablet, "no concrete evidence" was found that he was planning any kind of terrorist attack, according to prosecutors, the BBC reported.
Police also found no links between the teen and any foreign militant organization. At the peak of the investigation, 130 officials were working to uncover information about the teen, identified only as "Nidal," the BBC reported.
Germany has been in a state of high alert since December when a jihadist drove a truck into a crowd in Berlin, killing 12. More than a million asylum-seekers have entered Germany under an open borders policy since 2015, although numbers have slowed somewhat in recent months, the BBC reported.
Last week, a suicide bomber killed 22 at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England.
© 2024 Newsmax. All rights reserved.