A British school has sent a warning to parents that new Doritos Roulette chips — which say right on the bag that "one chip in every handful is so spicy it may bring you to tears" – are "dangerous" and cause distress for children.
The Guardian reported that the
George Pindar School in Scarborough sent a warning note to parents recently about the ultra-spicy chips after a student with asthma reported breathing problems after eating them.
Beth Laybourn, 14, said she thought she was "going to die" after eating the Doritos Roulette chips. She was eating them with friends in a game, and told The Sun,
"I started retching and ran to the toilet and was sick. I had four mugs of milk and my throat still wouldn’t stop burning. I couldn’t breathe properly and I really thought I was going to die. I kept thinking that if it leads to a full-blown asthma attack I could die."
The company advertises their chips as having a “hot chip in every handful” and the bag says, "WARNING: Some of these chips are ultra spicy."
One person wrote on the Doritos Roulette Facebook page,
"This is why I have trust issues. Think you've got a normal Dorito then boom I'm on the floor drinking a gallon of milk."
A Doritos spokesperson told the Sun, "We were sorry to hear about what happened. We do warn people to expect a seriously spicy experience with Doritos Roulette and we make this clear on the pack and in our adverts. The front of the pack states, ‘Warning: Some of these chips are ultra spicy,' while we also say they are not recommended for young children."
Many have taken their reactions to the chips online:
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.