Donald Trump jumped into the 2016 presidential race to the surprise of many, and has since taken the lead in the national polls.
Trump's plain-spoken campaigning has raised the ire of those in the mainstream media, but his decidedly un-politically correct speech has won him huge swaths of supporters across the country.
Gathered below are 15 of Trump's quotes that have impacted the 2016 election cycle.
Urgent: Do You Support Donald Trump for the GOP Nomination? Vote Here Now
1. "We need somebody who can take the brand of the United States and make it great again. Ladies and gentlemen: I am officially running for president of the United States, and we are going to make our country great again."
— Campaign kickoff
2. "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. . . they're sending people that have lots of problems . . . they're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."
— Campaign kickoff (June 2015)
3. "I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me. Believe me. And I'll build it very inexpensively. I'll build a great, great wall on our southern border and I will have Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words."
— Campaign kickoff
4. "You have to bring in jobs, you have to take the jobs back from China, you have to take the jobs back from Mexico."
— CNN interview
5. "New Hampshire has a tremendous drug epidemic. I am going to create borders. No drugs are coming in. We're going to build a wall . . . They will stop coming to New Hampshire. They will stop coming to our country."
— Republican debate
6. "Never, ever, ever in my life have I seen any transaction so incompetently negotiated as our deal with Iran. And I mean never . . . Israel will not survive."
— Political rally
7. "Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on."
— Campaign rally
Urgent: Who Should the GOP Nominate in 2016? Vote Here Now
8. "They have sections in Paris that are radicalized, where the police refuse to go there. They're petrified. The police refuse to go in there."
— MSNBC interview
9. "When you get these terrorists, you have to take out their families . . . When they say they don’t care about their lives, you have to take out their families."
— Fox News interview
10. "I watched when the World Trade Center came tumbling down. And I watched in Jersey City, New Jersey, where thousands and thousands of people were cheering as that building was coming down. Thousands of people were cheering."
— Campaign rally
11. "I would bring back waterboarding, and I would bring back a hell of a lot worse than waterboarding. You can rest assured that as commander in chief, I would use whatever enhanced interrogation methods we could to keep this country safe."
— Republican primary debate
12. "It's in the book that he's got a pathological temper. That's a big problem because you don't cure that."
— on Ben Carson's troubled childhood
13. "I supported him for president, I raised a million dollars for him, that’s a lot of money, I supported him, he lost, he let us down. But you know, he lost, so I’ve never liked him as much after that, because I don’t like losers . . . He’s not a war hero . . . He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured."
— on Sen. John McCain, Family Leadership Summit
14. "I’ve gone to gay weddings. I’ve been at gay weddings. I have been against [same-sex marriage] from the standpoint of the Bible, from the standpoint of my teachings as growing up and going to Sunday school and going to church."
— Bloomberg interview
15. "Everybody’s got to be covered. This is an un-Republican thing for me to say . . . I am going to take care of everybody. I don’t care if it costs me votes or not. Everybody’s going to be taken care of much better than they’re taken care of now."
— on his healthcare plan, "60 Minutes" interview
Vote Now: Which GOP Candidate Would You Support in 2016?
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.