Tags: conor mcgregor | plea | deal | attack

Conor McGregor Seeks Plea Deal in Brooklyn Bus Attack

Conor McGregor Seeks Plea Deal in Brooklyn Bus Attack

Irish Mixed Martial Arts fighter Conor McGregor looks on during his arraignment at the Kings County (Brooklyn) Criminal Court on April 6, 2018, in New York. (Mary Altaffer/AFP/Getty Images)

By    |   Thursday, 14 June 2018 12:23 PM

Conor McGregor is seeking a plea deal in his Brooklyn bus attack case, telling reporters that he regretted his actions after making a brief court appearance Thursday, ESPN noted.

The 29-year-old mixed martial artists and co-defendant Cian Cowley remained free on bail and are due back in court July 26.

McGregor was charged with assault earlier this year after he and some members of his entourage hurled chairs and dollies at a bus carrying cage fighters at the Barclay Center in New York City.

Crowley was also charged with assault and criminal mischief after UFC lightweight contender Michael Chiesa, who was on the bus at the time, was injured by shattering window glass.

Both men turned themselves in to police the night of the attack.

McGregor, who has not fought in the cage fighting octagon since November 2016, told members of the press outside the courthouse that he hoped the matter would be resolved.

"I understand the seriousness of this matter and I am hopeful this will get worked out," he said, according to ESPN.

McGregor’s manager Audie Attar was reluctant to divulge details of the plea agreement.

"Today we’re here to focus on court, we’re not going to focus on any future plans until we handle this matter," he told MMA Fighting.

"Right now we’re in good negotiations with the district attorney, so we’re going to focus on that and we’ll focus on the future later."

Despite the assault charges, McGregor is plotting his comeback, The Independent noted.

Before the attack, there was mounting pressure for the fighter to get back into the octagon, with UFC president Dana White stating it was unfair for McGregor to delay his comeback.

"Time is your enemy in this sport," White said, adding that the UFC could not let "this thing go on forever" and not allow other fighters an opportunity.

© 2019 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
Conor McGregor is seeking a plea deal in his Brooklyn bus attack case, telling reporters that he regretted his actions after making a brief court appearance Thursday.
conor mcgregor, plea, deal, attack
312
2018-23-14
Thursday, 14 June 2018 12:23 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved