Tags: chokehold | lawsuit | eric garner | nypd

Chokehold Lawsuit: Family to Seek $75M From NYPD, City, Officers

By    |   Tuesday, 07 Oct 2014 08:03 PM

A lawsuit is being planned by the family of a man who died after being put in a chokehold by an NYPD officer this summer. The notice to sue names New York City, the police department, and six officers and seeks $75 million.

Eric Garner's family filed the notice — the first step toward suing over the 43-year-old Garner's death — on Monday, The Associated Press reported.

A spokesman for City Comptroller Scott Stringer said Tuesday that the claim is under review.

Representatives of the Police Department and the city Law Department did not immediately comment on the notice of claim.

Garner, who was unarmed, was stopped by police on Staten Island on July 17 on suspicion of selling loose cigarettes.

A video shot by an onlooker shows Garner telling the officers to leave him alone and refusing to be handcuffed.

Officer Daniel Pantaleo responded by apparently putting Garner in a chokehold, which is banned under police policy. Garner is heard gasping, "I can't breathe." He was later pronounced dead at the hospital.

The city medical examiner found that the chokehold contributed to Garner's death. A grand jury will determine whether criminal charges are filed.

Garner's death has sparked protests including an Aug. 23 march on Staten Island that drew thousands of people demanding justice.

The notice of claim was filed by the law firm of Sanford Rubenstein, who is being investigated by detectives after a woman accused him of rape.

The accuser said the attack happened when she went back to Rubenstein's Manhattan apartment following a 60th birthday party last week for the Rev. Al Sharpton.

Sharpton, who has championed the Garner family's pleas for justice, said Tuesday that the fact the Rubenstein's name is on the notice of claim does not necessarily mean that Rubenstein will be the family's attorney going forward.

Sharpton said in a statement that the notice of claim filing was planned to protect the family's right to file a lawsuit before the deadline to file expires.

He said the family would make an announcement about its legal representation during Saturday's weekly rally at Sharpton's Harlem headquarters.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
A lawsuit is being planned by the family of a man who died after being put in a chokehold by an NYPD officer this summer. The notice to sue names New York City, the police department, and six officers and seeks $75 million.
chokehold, lawsuit, eric garner, nypd
350
2014-03-07
Tuesday, 07 Oct 2014 08:03 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved