Tags: chicago | code of silence | lawsuit | settled

Chicago 'Code of Silence' Lawsuit Settled During Closing Arguments

Image: Chicago 'Code of Silence' Lawsuit Settled During Closing Arguments
(Zimmytws/Dreamstime)

By    |   Monday, 11 December 2017 01:19 PM

Chicago settled its "code of silence" lawsuit on Friday during closing arguments of a trial that stemmed from a fatal 2009 drunk-driving crash involving a police officer, The Chicago Tribune said.

For the past few weeks lawyers have been locked in arguments about whether the police code of silence protected veteran homicide Detective Joseph Frugoli from taking full accountability for his actions that lead to the deaths of Andrew Cazares and Fausto Manzera, who were killed in the crash.

In 2012, Frugoli was sentenced to eight years in prison after being convicted on charges of aggravated driving under the influence and fleeing the scene of an accident, WGN-TV noted.

He was off duty at the time of the crash.

The families of the two victims filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against Frugoli and the city, stating that the code of silence protected the police officer and concealed his history of bad behavior.

According to ABC News, he was a self-proclaimed alcoholic who had been involved in various other incidents, but was never disciplined by the Chicago Police Department.

Frugoli denied this in court, claiming that the 2009 crash was the first time he had ever drove drunk "to the best of his knowledge."

However, attorneys lambasted the city for withholding crucial documents that showed Frugoli’s involvement in a bar fight that occurred in 1992.

U.S. District Judge Virginia Kendall announced the settlement during a break in closing arguments Friday, although the terms were not immediately released, The Chicago Tribune noted.

"The incident that happened in 1992 blew this case wide open and told us definitively that with alcohol-related incidents, Joe Frugoli got a pass in 1992," said Attorney Tim Cavanagh, according to NBC Chicago.

He added that they had always been prepared to take the verdict.

"We have been talking to the city this whole time and they accepted responsibility and we accepted a settlement."

© 2018 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
Chicago settled its "code of silence" lawsuit on Friday during closing arguments of a trial that stemmed from a fatal 2009 drunk-driving crash involving a police officer.
chicago, code of silence, lawsuit, settled
318
2017-19-11
Monday, 11 December 2017 01:19 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved