"Cake Boss" star Buddy Valastro is facing a long road to recovery after his dominant hand was "repeatedly" impaled during a horrific bowling accident. The celebrity chef shared the news to social media on Wednesday.
"I was involved in a terrible accident a few days ago," he captioned a photo of himself lying in a hospital bed with his arm in a sling. "What do you think of my new accessory?" he added along with #recoveryjourney.
A representative for Valastro confirmed the incident to People. The reality TV personality was with his family at their home, which features a bowling alley when the accident took place.
"There was a malfunction with the bowling pinsetter, a common fix in the past, but it turned into a terrible accident," the rep said.
"After trying to release the bowling pin from the cage mechanism, his right hand became lodged and compressed inside the unit. Unable to remove his hand, he can see a 1-1/2" metal rod slowly and repeatedly impale his hand three times between his ring finger and middle finger."
It took over five minutes before Valastro's sons, Buddy Jr., 16, and Marco, 13, could come to his aid. They used a reciprocating saw "to cut through the metal rod and relieve his father from the machine," according to the rep.
Valastro had to undergo two surgeries and was released from hospital on Wednesday.
"It will be an uphill battle as it's Buddy's dominant right hand and he will need prolonged recovery and therapy," the rep added.
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.