Former mob boss Francis "Cadillac Frank" Salemme submitted a formal notice of appeal through his lawyer Wednesday for his murder conviction and life sentencing for the 1993 killing of a Boston club owner, according to The Boston Globe.
The 85-year-old was convicted in a Boston federal court in June with co-defendant Paul Weadick for the killing of Steven DiSarro, whose nightclub was under scrutiny for the involvement of Salemme and his son.
Prosecutors said Salemme killed Steven DiSarro in fear that he would turn to authorities investigating the matter.
The former mob boss has long been suspected of Steven DiSarro's death, but he was only charged after the club owner's remains were unearthed in 2016 behind a Providence, Rhode Island, mill building.
Earlier this month, Salemme and Weadick were both sentenced to life in prison.
"This man is ruthless, barbaric, and richly deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison," federal prosecutor Fred Wysha told the court at the time, according to The Toronto Sun.
Salemme called the proceedings "ridiculous" and shouted in court that the real story "will come out."
The day of the sentencing, Steven DiSarro's son, Nick DiSarro, said they could finally move on
"As a family, we're very grateful to have this day come; it's what we've been looking for a final day of closure for all of us," he said, according to WBUR. "They're going away for life and we're looking forward to moving on from this."
Salemme's appeal will be heard by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit in Boston at a later date, The Boston Globe reported.
His co-defendant has also filed a notice of appeal.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.