Tags: busch gardens | halloween | props | isis

Busch Gardens Halloween Props Nixed in Aftermath of ISIS Beheadings

By    |   Monday, 22 Sep 2014 09:00 AM

Busch Gardens has removed some of its Halloween props from its theme parks in Florida and Virginia after the headless figures and severed heads drew complaints from patrons who felt they were too graphic in light of the recent beheadings carried out by ISIS.

The props were part of the park's "Howl-O-Scream" attraction at its Tampa theme park, according to the Orlando Sentinel. A similar attraction at Busch Gardens' Williamsburg, Virginia, location also faced criticism for featuring "headless figures and gory heads."

"Many of the scenes depicted at Busch Gardens' Howl-O-Scream are graphic in nature, but they are fictional and are not intended to provide commentary on current world events," Busch Gardens Tampa said in an official statement.

Urgent: Do You Approve Or Disapprove of President Obama's Job Performance? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

"The props in this year's event were designed and purchased several months ago. In light of recent events, some of these props would have had the unintended consequence of appearing insensitive and will not be part of Howl-O-Scream," the statement continued, making reference to the recent videotaped beheadings of American photojournalist James Foley, American journalist Steven Sotloff, and British aid worker David Haines carried out by the Islamic State.

Busch Garden further clarified its move on Facebook in response to customers.

 


The Associated Press reported that the Williamsburg complaints seemed to stem from photos published in the Virginia Gazette showing severed head props that were part of Busch Gardens' Cut Throat Cove pirate-themed haunted house attraction.

"The photo was taken last week as part of an assignment to preview a current exhibit," Gazette editor Rusty Carter said in a statement, according to the AP. "The figures are cartoonish in design, and do not look realistic. It is the job of our reporters and photographers to report and photograph the news, not censor it."

Some people responded on Busch Gardens' Facebook page, saying they were unhappy with the park's decision to remove the props.

"The two events have NOTHING to do with each other, so why were props even an issue?" user Angelica Davis commented. "Some people can't seem to separate the real world from fantasy and fun. Soon, people are going to want Christmas Town changed to Jolly Town or something. You can't please everyone."

User Brian Skinner added: "By removing the props you the park are giving in and letting the terrorists win. This is what they want . . . to disrupt the lives of Americans."

Urgent: Assess Your Heart Attack Risk in Minutes. Click Here.

Related Stories:

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
Busch Gardens has removed some of its Halloween props from its theme parks in Florida and Virginia after the headless figures and severed heads drew complaints from patrons who felt they were too graphic in light of the recent beheadings carried out by ISIS.
busch gardens, halloween, props, isis
476
2014-00-22
Monday, 22 Sep 2014 09:00 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved