Skip to main content
Tags: atlantic | marine monument | lawsuit

Atlantic Marine Monument Lawsuit Can Proceed

Atlantic Marine Monument Lawsuit Can Proceed
(Mercedes Orobio/Dreamstime.com)

Wednesday, 28 March 2018 08:47 AM EDT

The Atlantic marine monument lawsuit filed by organizations trying to reopen the area to commercial fishing can proceed, raising environmentalist fears that preservation efforts could be jeopardized.

The fishing groups sued to challenge the creation of the Northeast Canyons and Seamounts Marine National Monument created by President Barack Obama in 2016. It's a 5,000-square-mile area off of New England that contains fragile deep sea corals and vulnerable species of marine life such as right whales.

The fishermen's lawsuit had been put on hold by a review of national monuments ordered by President Donald Trump's administration in April 2017. Court filings at U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia say the stay was lifted in mid-March and the litigation can proceed.

Marine national monuments are underwater areas designed to protect unique or vulnerable ecosystems. There are four of them in the Pacific. The Northeast monument, the only one off the East Coast, is also an area where fishermen harvest valuable species such as lobsters and crabs.

"To lose a big area that we have historically fished has quite an impact on quite a lot of people here," said Jon Williams, a New Bedford, Massachusetts, crabber and a member of plaintiff group Offshore Lobstermen's Association. "It'll raise attention to it a little bit, which it needs."

The court ordered the federal government, which is the defendant in the case, to respond by April 16. A spokeswoman from the federal Department of Commerce declined to comment.

The lawsuit's ability to move forward will hopefully prod the federal government to make a decision about the future of the monument, which is unpopular with commercial harvesters, Williams said. But a coalition of environmental groups is also intervening in the case in an attempt to keep the monument area preserved.

"These public waters belong to the American people, and we stand ready to defend them from encroachments on the centuries-old corals, endangered whales and other precious marine life this special ocean area encompasses," said Brad Sewell of one of the intervening groups, the Natural Resources Defense Council.

© Copyright 2024 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


TheWire
The Atlantic marine monument lawsuit filed by organizations trying to reopen the area to commercial fishing can proceed, raising environmentalist fears that preservation efforts could be jeopardized.
atlantic, marine monument, lawsuit
342
2018-47-28
Wednesday, 28 March 2018 08:47 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
TOP

Interest-Based Advertising | Do not sell or share my personal information

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Download the NewsmaxTV App
Get the NewsmaxTV App for iOS Get the NewsmaxTV App for Android Scan QR code to get the NewsmaxTV App
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved