Tags: U.S. | Looks | for | New | Targets | Afghanistan

U.S. Looks for New Targets in Afghanistan

Tuesday, 15 January 2002 12:00 AM

Military officials say they leveled all surface structures at the Zawar camp and sealed shut about 50 caves. They say U.S. forces are conducting search-and-destroy missions in the region where officials believe additional al-Qaeda facilities are located.

Meanwhile, U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell said the United States is ready to make a significant contribution to the rebuilding of Afghanistan. He said the Bush administration is also working to free up $221 million in frozen Afghan funds for the country's interim government once U.N. sanctions against the country are lifted.

Powell said his trip to the region will include talks with Afghan interim leader Hamid Karzai in Kabul, and a stop in Japan for a conference aimed at raising reconstruction money for Afghanistan.

In Afghanistan, Minister of Reconstruction Mohammad Amin Farhang told the Tokyo-based newspaper Mainichi Tuesday that his country needs at least $18 billion over the next decade as it tries to repair the damage done to its economy by 23 years of conflict.

U.N. officials claim the war-torn country needs an immediate $100 million so that the Afghan government can pay civil servants and begin the process of restoring a government framework.

According to the United Nations, civil servants in Afghanistan are due almost $70 million in back wages.

In Cuba, 30 more al-Qaeda and Taliban prisoners arrived at the U.S. Navy base at Guantanamo Bay. The new prisoners join 20 others who arrived last week. The detainees are being kept in a prison compound known as "Camp X-Ray."

Afghanistan's top judge labeled "illegal" the U.S. policy of transferring Taliban and al-Qaeda prisoners to Cuba. Maulana Fazle Hadi Shinwari said the detainees should be handed over to Afghan authorities.

The judge also urged the United States to "stop bombing Afghanistan and allow the Afghans to live peacefully in their homes."

However, Foreign Minister Abdullah Abdullah told United Press International that the new Afghan government wanted U.S. forces to remain in Afghanistan "as long as al-Qaeda and the Taliban present a threat."

Copyright 2002 by United Press International. All rights reserved.

© 2019 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Pre-2008
Military officials say they leveled all surface structures at the Zawar camp and sealed shut about 50 caves. They say U.S. forces are conducting search-and-destroy missions in the region where officials believe additional al-Qaeda facilities are located. Meanwhile, U.S....
U.S.,Looks,for,New,Targets,Afghanistan
342
2002-00-15
Tuesday, 15 January 2002 12:00 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved