Tags: Suicide | Bomber | Kills | Israelis

Suicide Bomber Kills 2 Israelis

Monday, 27 May 2002 12:00 AM

An anonymous caller to the Lebanese al-Manar TV claimed responsibility on behalf of the al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, which is said to be affiliated with Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's Fatah movement. The caller said the attack in a city 7 miles east of Tel Aviv was carried out "in revenge for Israeli crimes."

The attack was launched in the evening when mothers and children go to the café for coffee and ice cream.

The attacker headed towards a big supermarket, apparently saw the guard and took a left turn towards the center of the café where he detonated his charge.

The bomber's head flew through the awning and landed on a car some 15 feet away.

"We saw bodies. A baby with half a head," an unidentified eyewitness told Israel Radio.

Karine Alroee, 21, who works in the building said she had just entered it when she heard the blast, rushed out and saw the cafe's owner covered with blood and crying.

"Just a minute ago I saw him talking to his clients and serving coffee," she said.

Five of the wounded people were in serious condition.

Several hours earlier a Palestinian gardener found --and reported to Israeli police -- a bomb connected to a cellular phone between two houses in the Ramat Eshkol neighborhood in Jerusalem. Police detonated the charge.

Israel last month carried out Operation Defensive Shield -- in which thousands of Israeli troops temporarily re-occupied dozens of Palestinian towns and refugee camps. Israel said Defensive Shield aimed to crack down on militants and "tear up an infrastructure of terror” in the Palestinian territories. Some 2,200 people were detained but attacks are resuming.

Defense Minister Binyamin Ben-Eliezer said Monday the intensity of the new attacks has not yet reached that of the pre-Operation Defensive Shield days.

Ben-Eliezer said Israel succeeds in foiling some 90 percent of the attacks.

But the Chief of the Israeli General Staff, Lt. Gen. Shaul Mofaz said that more severe action might be necessary if attacks persist. "If our actions are not effective, it could be that we may have to carry out deeper and wider actions,” the Jerusalem Post newspaper’s Web site quoted him as saying. "But I am not sure that this is in Israel's interest at this time."

Israeli troops have been entering Palestinian towns over the weekend, including Bethlehem, Qalqilya, Tulkarim, and seizing people suspected of involvement in attacks.

Soldiers who entered the Deheishe refugee camp south of Bethlehem detained three Fatah activists who were responsible for attacks in Jerusalem and Rishon le-Zion, in which 13 Israelis were killed, Israeli security sources said.

They said the head of the ring was Ahmad Yussef Mugrabi, 28, his brother Ali, 16, and Mahmud Salem Slaman Sarahneh, 25. The ring was allegedly involved in two attacks in Jerusalem and last week allegedly sent the suicide bomber that carried out an attack near a Rishon le-Zion park where elderly people play chess, killing two people.

Copyright 2002 by United Press International.

All rights reserved.

© 2019 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Pre-2008
An anonymous caller to the Lebanese al-Manar TV claimed responsibility on behalf of the al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, which is said to be affiliated with Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's Fatah movement. The caller said the attack in a city 7 miles east of Tel Aviv was carried...
Suicide,Bomber,Kills,Israelis
500
2002-00-27
Monday, 27 May 2002 12:00 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved