Tags: Israeli | Choppers | Attack | Arafat | Guard

Israeli Choppers Attack Arafat Guard

Tuesday, 03 April 2001 12:00 AM

The attacks were apparently in retaliation for a Palestinian mortar attack in which an Israeli baby and two others were hurt.

The Israel Defense Forces spokesman confirmed the attack, saying it was "acting against terrorist targets."

"All targets are directly connected with terror activities against Israel," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not detail the targets, but Channel 2 TV said they were in Gaza and Rapha.

The prime minister's office issued a statement saying Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's primary goal was "to restore security to Israel's residents."

Earlier, Palestinian gunmen fired three mortar bombs into the southern Gaza Strip settlement of Atzmona, seriously injuring a 1-year-old baby and slightly injuring his mother and another man, the army spokesman reported.

Zevulun Kalfa, a resident of Atzmona, said all three mortar bombs landed in Atzmona. One of them hit a path near several children who were playing, and shrapnel hit the baby's head.

Immanuel Katz, the director of the Soroka hospital in Beer Sheba, said doctors were trying to save the baby's life. He said the child was "in very serious condition."

Palestinians have fired several mortar bombs at Israeli settlements, but it was the first time those bombs injured someone.

Last week a sniper shot and killed a 10-month-old Jewish baby in Hebron.

Earlier, Israeli officials said they arrested a member of the Palestinian Authority's navy on suspicion of planting a bomb in a market in Netanya, north of Tel Aviv.

Israel's General Security Service identified the man as Abed al-Rahman Fuda, of the Nur e-Shams refugee camp near Tulkarem. They said Fuda confessed to placing the bomb in the Netania market on March 28. The device was detonated by a police robot and Fuda was caught nearby.

The PMO issued a statement saying additional activists of the Palestinian Authority force were behind the attack.

Israel released three members of the Palestinians' Force 17, the presidential guard, who had been abducted Sunday in the West Bank by Israeli soldiers. The prime minister's office said an investigation determined the men were not involved in what they termed terrorist activities.

The three members of Force 17 whom Israel released Monday night were among six men abducted early Sunday near the West Bank village of Sinjil, in an autonomous Palestinian area. Israeli security sources said the Force 17 commander there was involved in attacks in which eight Israelis were killed.

Israeli officials said Palestinians on Tuesday hurled hand grenades, Molotov cocktails and stones for hours at soldiers near the Egyptian border. The soldiers returned fire and two Palestinians were injured. Israeli earth-moving equipment destroyed an abandoned Palestinian house that authorities said was used as a southern Gaza Strip base from which Palestinians fired at Israeli soldiers.

An Israeli spokesman denied a Palestinian police report Tuesday that said the Israeli tanks had destroyed a Force 17 post north of Khan Yunes.

Copyright 2001 by United Press International. All rights reserved.

© 2019 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Pre-2008
The attacks were apparently in retaliation for a Palestinian mortar attack in which an Israeli baby and two others were hurt. The Israel Defense Forces spokesman confirmed the attack, saying it was acting against terrorist targets. All targets are directly connected...
Israeli,Choppers,Attack,Arafat,Guard
486
2001-00-03
Tuesday, 03 April 2001 12:00 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved