Tags: Cheap | Metal | Jewelry | May | Lethal | Kids

Cheap Metal Jewelry May Be Lethal To Kids

Monday, 03 April 2006 12:00 AM

Parents of infants and toddlers should be very wary of inexpensive metal jewelry brought into their homes, say public health experts. Such jewelry may contain high levels of lead and therefore be a danger to children if it is swallowed..

The warning comes after a four-year-old boy from Minnesota died from lead poisoning. It was later learned that he had swallowed a small heart-shaped charm made of lead.

Kathryn Berg, M.D., of the Hennepin County medical examiner's office, reported the case in the March 31 issue of Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

The Minnesota finding was consistent with an earlier study from public health officials in Los Angeles who reported that 34% of the Los Angeles Country children younger than six who had lead poisoning had been exposed to lead in objects brought into the home.

The fatal charm in the Minnesota death was found in the boy's stomach. It had "Reebok" engraved on it and had been given away with a number of sneaker styles made by Reebok for preschool and grade-school children.

The shoes, with names like Disco Queen, Emma Rhinestone and the Glimmer Deluxe, were sold nationwide beginning in May 2004. Reebok estimated that 300,000 of them were in circulation. The company issued a recall for the charms late in March.

Following the boy's death, a staff member with the Minneapolis Department of Regulatory Services obtained two similar charms -- one with a pair of shoes purchase at a local shoe store and the second from a pair of shoes purchased from the Reebok website.

In Atlanta, the CDC obtained four charms from shoes purchased at different outlets.

Because it is difficult to identify lead exposure risks based on case reports, the authors concluded that restriction or elimination of nonessential uses of lead in consumer products should be "part of a proactive strategy that prevents exposure to these products."

110

© 2019 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Pre-2008
Parents of infants and toddlers should be very wary of inexpensive metal jewelry brought into their homes, say public health experts. Such jewelry may contain high levels of lead and therefore be a danger to children if it is swallowed.. The warning comes after a...
Cheap,Metal,Jewelry,May,Lethal,Kids
313
2006-00-03
Monday, 03 April 2006 12:00 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved