Tags: North Korea | Trump Administration | war | casualties | james mattis | secretary of defense

Dem Reps: US Should Release NKorea War Casualty Estimates

Dem Reps: US Should Release NKorea War Casualty Estimates
Defense Secretary James Mattis (AP)

By    |   Tuesday, 26 September 2017 06:18 PM

Two Democratic congressman sent a letter Tuesday to Defense Secretary James Mattis asking how many casualties the Pentagon expects if the U.S. goes to war with North Korea, The Hill reported.

"Before this administration leads America down the dark, bloody, and uncertain path of war with North Korea, the American people and their representatives in Congress deserve answers," Reps. Ted Lieu, D-Calif., and Ruben Gallego, D-Ariz., wrote.

The letter comes as tensions between the U.S. and North Korea continue to worsen because of Pyongyang's nuclear and missile development and its threats to have a weapon capable of reaching the continental United States.

Ri Yong Ho, North Korea's foreign minister, said Monday that President Donald Trump had declared war on North Korea and threatened countermeasures, including shooting down U.S. strategic bombers even if they are not in the country's air space.

Mattis previously said war with North Korea would be "catastrophic, but Lieu and Gallego said a number on potential casualties should be provided and asked for a response within 30 days.

"Despite being member of the House Foreign Affairs and House Armed Services Committees who have participated in classified briefings and hearing on the North Korean threat, we have not heard detailed analysis of expected U.S. or allies force casualties, expected civilian casualties, what plans exist for the aftermath of a strike — including continuity of the South Korean government, or how such assessments have factored into the military options presented to the president," they wrote.

© 2018 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Politics
Two Democratic congressman sent a letter Tuesday to Defense Secretary James Mattis asking how many casualties the Pentagon expects if the U.S. goes to war with North Korea, The Hill reported.
war, casualties, james mattis, secretary of defense
245
2017-18-26
Tuesday, 26 September 2017 06:18 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved