Donald Trump is the dominating favorite of U.S. troops, a new Military Times poll finds.
But allegations of sexual assault and misogyny against the GOP presidential nominee are hurting his image among military women and eroding support among military officers, the survey released Wednesday shows.
Support for the candidates breaks down like this:
- Trump: 40.5 percent
- Clinton: 20.6 percent
- Libertarian Gary Johnson: 27 percent
- Green Party nominee Jill Stein: 1.7 percent
Among enlisted troops, the support goes this way:
- Trump: 43.3 percent
- Clinton: 18.4 percent
- Johnson: 26.2 percent
- Stein: 1.9 percent
Among officers, the support breaks down like this:
- Clinton: 31.7 percent
- Trump: 26.2 percent
- Johnson: 31.3 percent
- Stein: 0.5 percent
Among men, comparing recent poll findings and a survey taken in September:
- Trump: 43.1 percent in October; 39.6 percent in September
- Clinton: 17.8 percent in October, 15.1 percent in September
- Johnson: 27.7 percent in October; 36.3 in September
- Stein: 1.4 percent in October; 1 percent in September
"Everyone is so worried about what Donald Trump has said over a decade ago or about his tax returns over 20 years ago," said one male Marine corporal who responded to the survey, Military Times reported. "No one seems to care that Hillary Clinton is directly responsible for leaking classified information. It's an embarrassment that she is on the verge of becoming president."
Among women, the support compares in the two polls this way:
- Trump: 25.7 percent in October; 26.7 percent in September
- Clinton: 36.1 percent in October; 23 percent in September
- Johnson: 23.4 percent in October; 38 percent in September
- Stein: 3.3 percent in October; 2.3 percent in September
"Trump perpetuates ‘the boys will be boys’ mentality that does not reflect current military culture," wrote one female Army master sergeant in her survey response, Military Times reported. "It's both dangerous and disrespectful."
The poll's margin of error is plus or minus 2 percentage points.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.